Monday, February 11, 2008

Klepto

According to Wikipedia (Sam's fav website):

Kleptomania: is an inability or great difficulty in resisting impulses of stealing.
People with this disorder are compelled to steal things, generally things of little or no value, such as pens, paper clips, tape, small toys, or packets of sugar. Some may not be aware that they have committed the theft until later. The majority of kleptomaniacs have preferences to certain items (again, usually subconsciously); for example, batteries or television remote controls.......People with this disorder are likely to have a comorbid condition, specifically paranoid, schizoid or borderline personality disorder. Kleptomania can occur after traumatic brain injury and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Kleptomania is usually thought of as part of the obsessive-compulsive disorder spectrum, although emerging evidence suggests that it may be more similar to addictive and mood disorders. In particular, this disorder is frequently co-morbid with substance use disorders, and it is common for individuals with kleptomania to have first-degree relatives who suffer from a substance use disorder.

For some people it is paper clips or remote controls but for me it is canned goods from the grocery store, specifically corn today. Since Camille was born Kleptomania has taken over! After checking out at the store, unloading groceries and then unloading Camille from the cart (all you mom's know how you have to stuff the groceries around the carseat) I often find items that missed the checkout hiding under her carseat. Two weeks ago it was shampoo at target....more canned goods before Christmas, etc. Today, I specifically checked twice for hidden items but there are many tricky places to hide under a baby, carseat, blanket, diaper bag, etc. and somehow the corn stayed hidden until I took everything out of the cart. So then it was back into the store again (which means baby back in the cart, blankets back in the cart, and diaper bag back in the cart) so that I could fight my Kleptomaniac urges(the definition specifically states that you may not be aware of the theft until later) and rectify the mishap with the store. I feel bad bearing this bad news over the internet but the tail end of the definition states that it is common for my first-degree relatives to have a substance abuse disorder.......I felt this information should be out in the open so that we can ALL get the help we need.

8 comments:

Slades said...

LOL....that is HILLARIOUS! I didn't know you had it in you. So if you hadn't been out of cell minutes yesterday I would have called you back to tell you IT WORKED!!! I was so excited, I was jumping up and down. I can't wait to play with the actions and figure it out. Also, your valentine's header looks great. I love you digiscrap skills. I'm glad you can save those pictures.

Slades said...

Thanks again for "the disc" I really really REALLY appreciate it. Let me know when yours gets there. Bryndee

Renzello said...

YOU CRACK ME UP!!!! I always knew there was something a little shady about you!

Ashlee said...

Nicole you are too funny! I think it happens to the best of us!! I always open stuff in the store for Gavin to eat, because he is freaking out! I have sometimes forgotten to pay for it as well!!! Cute header, how's the digiscrapbooking going?? Happy Valentines Day!

Carrie said...

I can't wait to be a mom. :-) Then I'll have an excuse to just take whatever I want from the store and blame it on the baby. Hooray for kleptomania!

Amanda&Wade said...

I am so glad to hear that you do it too! I did that just last week with a box of diapers!! It was under the cart, weird! I also did it with a shirt at costco once.. under the carseat! I about died when I realized I had stolen it! I ran back in and like you said... that's not an easy task. Anyway, I loved your post on this! So funny

Winn Family said...

i love you coley! Hilarious! and actually--I did it last week from wal-mart--lasagna noodles (but the sad thing was that I didn't have any of the kids with me...so...right. LAME-O. I just hate feeling so stupid bringing it back--so silly. Anyway I love your blog! SO FUNNY. Plus that new header is adorable! How did you do it! (if it's not so hard--maybe I could...heck...who am I fooling--I'll just watch as you do a cute job--I'm retarded at this stuff. Anyway--so funny! love you!!!

Winn Family said...

i love you coley! Hilarious! and actually--I did it last week from wal-mart--lasagna noodles (but the sad thing was that I didn't have any of the kids with me...so...right. LAME-O. I just hate feeling so stupid bringing it back--so silly. Anyway I love your blog! SO FUNNY. Plus that new header is adorable! How did you do it! (if it's not so hard--maybe I could...heck...who am I fooling--I'll just watch as you do a cute job--I'm retarded at this stuff. Anyway--so funny! love you!!!